Column: What not to buy your girlfriend this holiday

Dana Larson

Dana Larson

By Stephanie Lulay

Ah, it’s that time of the year again: jingle bells, crowded stores and every girl’s cell phone blaring Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” Everyone loves this time of the year!

Although you may hate shopping, buying your girlfriend a holiday gift doesn’t have to be an awful experience. To avoid the look of shock when she tears through your home-wrapped present, check out this list, check it twice and stay away from these bad gift ideas.

Anything to do with losing weight

If you even remotely have feelings for your girlfriend, I’d say that any gift related to weight loss you should stay away from.

From the obvious – a Weight Watchers membership or exercise DVDs – to a gym membership, Christmas is not that time you want to finally answer the question, “Does this make me look fat?” honestly. And your girlfriend definitely will not appreciate the not-so-subtle hint in gift form.

Clothing

In general, try to stay away from buying your girlfriend clothing, too. Like above, you risk buying her a too-large size and offending her, throwing her into a self-conscious rage.

Even if you are absolutely sure of her sizes, the chances that you actually get her something that she’ll like and wear are slim to none. If you are going to go this route, pay attention to the stores she likes and find an associate that dresses similarly to her to help you out.

Lingerie

Like clothing, lingerie is generally a bad idea because guys and girls have very different ideas of what they find appealing in this department. And worst of all, she won’t know what to say when her parents ask her what that “nice young man” got for their “little princess.”

Something that you really want yourself

I know it is very tempting, but getting a gift for her that you really want yourself will make you one bad Santa. You may really like the Bulls, and she might pretend that she likes watching the games with you, but stay away from buying her a pair of season tickets or a Nocioni jersey.

Instead, she would be much happier getting tickets to something you would normally protest attending with her like the ballet or the Spice Girls concert. While it may put you out of your element, she will definitely know that you care enough to take notice of the things that she likes.

And if it is still something that you want that bad, why don’t you just ask HER to get it for YOU?

Gift certificate

Is she your girlfriend or your mailman? Usually gift certificates are reserved for people that you want to show you thought of them but don’t know them nearly well enough to actually get them a gift.

If you do get a gift card, make it less generic and for a store you know she likes.

Clichés

Look, guys, save the super clichéd gifts like chocolate and flowers for Valentine’s Day. Christmas presents should be more personal and thought out than a quick trip to the florist. On the flip side, at least you know you have got one holiday covered.

Nothing

Getting her nothing for the holidays will guarantee that you won’t ever have to worry about getting her any gift ever again.