Frosh prepare for first finals

Photo illustration Beth Gilomen

Photo illustration Beth Gilomen

By Meghan O'Kelly

As the semester winds down and finals kick into high gear, students living in University Housing are adjusting as they attempt to focus on exams while living in close quarters.

About 80 percent of the residents in University Housing are freshmen, experiencing their first round of college final exams.

Nick Vainisi, freshman in Business, said the stakes are higher for him during finals week in college than they were in high school.

“These tests are deciding my grades, when in high school they mostly didn’t matter,” he said.

Christine Becker, freshman in ACES, said she is nervous for her first finals, as well.

“I’m not sure really what to expect or how much time I need to put into studying,” she said.

Kirsten Ruby, assistant director of Housing for marketing, said resident advisors’ responsibilities remain the same throughout finals in the residence halls, with 24-hour quiet hours that began Saturday before finals at 12:01 a.m.

“We ask that all residents be respectful of each other, and especially note when leaving the halls that others may not yet be finished with finals,” she said in an e-mail interview.

Vainisi said it is often difficult to get studying and work done in the residence halls without interruptions.

“There is bound to be someone coming in and out of the room of people in other rooms being loud,” he said. “But if you leave you have to take time from studying to go there and back.”

Becker agreed.

“Everyone is walking around and I like talking to them,” she said. “I get more done when I go to the (residence halls’) tunnels or the library.”

University Residence Halls will close for break at 3 p.m. Sunday and reopen Jan. 13 at noon, with regular dining hall hours and A La Carte hours resuming the following day. Residents are reminded to turn off all electronic devices, check their mail, empty trash cans and lock all valuables before leaving for break.