Campaign fliers an annoyance

They can be seen blowing across the Quad or used as paper airplanes in hallways all over campus. They’re tacked onto every wall, bulletin board and open space left in Champaign-Urbana. It’s not garbage, but it’s close enough – it’s one of many fliers distributed and posted by UI Student Senate candidates over the past couple weeks. Not only are thousands of multicolored trees being chopped down for this purpose, but does anyone actually read them?

These fliers usually are comprised of the candidate’s first name, a Photoshopped picture and an overused cliche or quote from a recent movie, and contain absolutely no information on what he/she stands for as a candidate. Worst of all, everything will have to be disposed of after the election is over with.

A far better solution would be if area newspapers featured a special section prior to the election introducing the candidates and their positions as it would more effectively get the word out about the upcoming contest. Or at the very least, the candidates can switch back to plain old chalk. At least it can be erased at the end of the day.

Chris Bergsvik

senior in Aviation