Champaign Unit #4 after school activities canceled due to weather

By Melissa Silverberg

Champaign Community Unit School District #4 cancelled any after school activities requiring district transportation Tuesday due to inclement weather.

“If it is weather related and there is a potential threat to the students, we will cancel,” said Doretha Simmons, director of human resources for the school district.

These activities cancelled include those that would require bus transportation, while activities like after school care will still be held because parents are the source of transportation for those children.

The superintendant and district administration felt the roads were too hazardous and made the decision to cancel activities, said Simmons.

The Central High School boys’ basketball section game at Mt. Zion has been postponed and rescheduled for Wednesday night at 7:30. The game will still take place at Mt. Zion and tickets for the buses and games are still available.

School for Wednesday has not been cancelled as of Tuesday afternoon, said Simmons, a decision like that would be made as early as 5:45 a.m. in the case of weather related problems.