Bad experience at local event

On April 1, David Makovsky, a Zionist think-tanker, gave a half-hour public talk at Campus Hillel, which consisted of twisted invective against Palestinians, Arabs and Muslims, and self-promoting insider politics. He then entertained four non-controversial questions, responding to each with a rambling 10-minute answer. He decided to end after an hour and fifteen minutes of what had been announced as a two-hour event. There was no moderator to promote fair audience participation or civil discourse.

At that point, I interjected an alternative perspective regarding Palestinian resistance to Israeli occupation. My comments were substantive and not personal.

I was immediately shouted down, told to shut up and told to leave by several members of the local Zionist element, including professors Fred Gottheil and Ehud Yairi.

A physical altercation subsequent to this event, not initiated by me, led to a visit to my house later that evening from a police officer, telling me that I was henceforth banned from Hillel.

I was not aware that Hillel is a private residence owned by the Zionist element whose right is to determine who can speak and who must leave. I was not aware that Jewish perspectives are limited to those that support Zionist militarism, racism, occupation and apartheid. I am, however, aware that local institutional Jewish leadership of all types has facilitated an atmosphere of arrogance and condescension in response to opponents of Zionist bigotry.

They are ultimately responsible for the repressive and intimidating atmosphere that pervades and corrupts the local Jewish community.

David Green

Academic Professional