Moving into reason

By Chris Calvey

This letter is in response to the Sept. 5 front page article regarding religious residences on campus titled “moving into faith.” At last count, there are an impressive 53 religious Registered Student Organizations on campus (46 of which are Christian). On top of that, within a 1.5 mile or so radius from Grainger Library there are no less than four Lutheran, four Presbyterian, four Catholic, six Methodist, and thirteen Baptist churches … along with about 21 other various places of worship to choose from. For those who are so inclined, finding a space to practice your faith on campus should not prove to be very difficult. That’s all well and good, but what about the rest of us? What about the heathens, apostates, infidels, baby-eating enthusiasts, skeptics, humanists, pastafarians, and the 14 percent of Americans who don’t subscribe to any religious belief? Thankfully, there is a place for us too.

Although we don’t (yet) have our own private certified housing, the Atheists, Agnostics, & Freethinkers club has been serving the secular student community for over 18 months now. Nonreligious people in our country often face discrimination, harassment and pressure from our friends and families to conform to societal norms regarding belief in god. That’s why I found it so vitally important to form a supportive social network of our own here, which I’m proud to report has recently grown to over 900 members and counting.

Whether you’re tired of staying silent, just beginning to question your faith, weary about the influence of religion in our government and classrooms, or if you’re just looking to have some thought-provoking discussions, we meet every Thursday at 7 p.m. in 160 English Building.