Feel the ‘Nois during Homecoming this year

By Anahita Monga

Who would have thought that an earthquake in Illinois would decide the University’s homecoming theme?

“We decided that it was a unique thing because earthquakes don’t always happen in Illinois,” said Reid Thompson, VP of Homecoming- Internal, acknowledging the influence of last spring’s earthquake in the Midwest. “The whooshing, wavy sound lines that you see behind the logo of Feel the ‘Nois is supposed to represent the Richter scale of an earthquake.”

But the theme is not entirely about the earthquake. It’s also supposed to represent music. The “whooshy” lines are supposed to represent musical sound lines as well, Thompson said. “We want people to literally feel the noise,” he said.

The executive board of Student Alumni Ambassadors spent almost three hours on Gmail chat, tossing around ideas.

“There was a huge list of almost two pages filled with ideas for homecoming theme,” Thompson said.

One of the many themes that were being considered before Feel the ‘Nois was “Vintage Illini” but the Chancellor’s Committee to Support Homecoming (CCSH) approved Feel the ‘Nois.

“It’s a really good theme because everyone loves music; there’s a type for everyone,” said Jennifer Babich, junior in ACES.

Students around campus have been seeing the homecoming “Feel the ‘Nois” logos on buses for some time now.

“I don’t know what it means but it looks like something pretty clever,” said Mike Slavin, junior in LAS.

To go with the musical theme, the CCHS has organized various events during the week of homecoming. The kick-off event on Saturday had a live concert by 7th heaven and live broadcast by WPGU, held on Green Street between Sixth and Wright streets.

Another theme-related event planned is the Lunch on the Quad Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The event is planned to include a musical and carnival theme with live performances by the dance teams, the cheerleaders, the Orange and Blue band and various musical groups.

“It’s a different thing and we’re trying to build excitement for students for the homecoming,” Thompson said.

Many students are excited and looking forward to the events planned for this year’s homecoming.

Mirjana Ascic, junior in LAS, said he is looking forward to Lunch on the Quad the most.

“There’s a large variety of events which are probably going to be a lot of fun,” Ascic said.

To add to the whole effect of the musical theme, the CCHS has also planned to dress the Alma Mater with a guitar.

“We are going to hang a guitar around the Alma Mater on Saturday.” Thompson said. “While the band will be playing the music, the Alma Mater will also be rocking it out with the students.”