Obama win would boost international standing

The domestic issues that face Americans at this juncture are large in size, unparalleled in influence, and complex to answer. Our economic bedrock has been shaken, our faith in government has been tested, and it is hard to tell what the future holds. However, one issue that could be immediately resolved on November 4th is the restoration of some semblance of respect on the international stage.

Aside from the disastrous domestic problems that will be part of the Bush legacy, the President has saddled America with a tarnished reputation, from the Middle East all the way to our most cherished allies in Europe. Criticisms such as impulsive, arrogant, and imperialistic have been levied against our nation. Whether these accusations are true is debatable, but with our votes we can send a message that the policies of the past will not be those of the future.

Recent international polls suggest that the world overwhelmingly favors an Obama Presidency as opposed to a McCain one. Electing Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States will send a message to extremists and pragmatists alike that American people still possesses sound judgment. A McCain victory will cement the view that Americans no longer care for the international community’s advice and that we endorse a continuation of the policies that have stripped the moral high ground from under our feet. So on November 4th, think not only of the enormous domestic problems that we face, but of the monumental task that is rebuilding our reputation, and begin the process by voting for Barack Obama.

Lindsay Dorrier

Senior in LAS