Pass medicinal cannabis law

By Dan Linn

Hopefully Illinois lawmakers can join 12 other states in protecting some of the most vulnerable members of society by granting them access to an alternative form of treatment, medical cannabis. While some might think that medical cannabis is a joke, for those who consume the plant for their day to day functioning it is no laughing matter.

Illinois lawmakers should pass Senate Bill 2865 and let doctors and patients decide what treatment is best for their condition. The act would allow for the compassionate use of cannabis by those whose doctors recommend using the plant. The bill has been amended to limit the amount of patients to just 1,200 statewide and would be administered by the Dept. of Public Health. Plus, it will expire three years after enacted, so any concerns of it being de facto legalization or sending the wrong message to children are wrong.

The American College of Physicians released a position paper supporting patients’ rights and access to medical cannabis. Furthermore, the ACP also urged a review of cannabis as a schedule 1 controlled substance.

Recently the student section of the American Medical Association also voiced their support for medical cannabis. Other leading medical organizations such as the American Nurses Association, Illinois Nurses Association, Chicago AIDS Foundation, American Academy of HIV Medicine, and Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, all support the medical use of cannabis.

Illinois needs to protect cannabis patients from arrest so please support this bill because so many can benefit from this program.