2008 election puts Illinois in spotlight

By Stephen Spector

On Nov. 4, students stood in line at polling posts, marked their ballots and made promises with their television sets to not leave their sight for the remainder of the day. And before the next sunrise, citizens of the world learned that the next president of the United States was a product of Illinois politics.

In the only nationwide election, President-elect Barack Obama launched a campaign that shook the status quo of the presidency and defied 400 years of racial tensions. In an avalanche of a victory, Obama defeated Arizona Sen. John McCain in the general election with 365 electoral votes to McCain’s 173.

Illinois citizens decided which local politicians should stay and which should start filling out new job applications. While Obama campaigned for a new job, Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin campaigned to keep his job. Durbin slated another six years to his already 11-year career as the state’s senior senator. Republican contender Steve Sauerberg collected a mere 33 percent of the votes in comparison to Durbin’s 63 percent.

Local incumbents retained their office as well. Since 2000, Rep. Tim Johnson has worked for Illinois’ 15th Congressional District and will continue to work in the House for another two years. For Johnson, election night was not going to disturb his workout routine.

“I didn’t even know what the results were,” said Johnson on the night of his victory. “I was just finishing doing my sit-ups when my son called me.”

In the race for Champaign County state’s attorney, Democratic incumbent Julia Rietz prevailed against Republican challenger Janie Miller-Jones. The Democrats scored another victory in state Rep. Naomi Jakobsson. In a landslide victory, Jakobsson sent her challenger, University student Frank Calabrese, back to the books.

His age, or lack thereof, would have modified the demographic of Illinois’ State Senate, and Calabrese’s rhetoric emphasized change for the University.

“The University of Illinois has been given the short stick by the state of Illinois, and I want to ensure the University of Illinois receives the attention it deserves,” Calabrese said while campaigning.

By Obama moving his Washington offices to the White House, his open Senate seat shifted the focus of national politics back to Illinois. With Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s arrest on allegations that he was trying to profit from the appointment, all eyes now rest on Illinois politics.

What to look for next semester:

Even with the election over, political pundits want to know what all the fuss will be in Illinois – specifically, what is going to happen with Gov. Rod Blagojevich. Obama’s vacant seat in the Senate remains open, and his successor has yet to be named. Will the president-elect be connected to Blagojevich’s scandal, and will his successor be tainted with scandal?