Ayers’ visit a disgrace

By Nick Irmen

Controversial speaker and education reform advocate Bill Ayers will be visiting Allen Hall and giving a series of lectures from Monday, March 9 to Thursday, March 12.

For those who are unaware, Mr. Ayers is a professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago and is a former member of the radical movement known as Weather Underground.

The careless actions of Bill Ayers caused the death of Ayers’ close friend and girlfriend of the time. He also bombed the New York City Police Headquarters, U.S. Capitol Building, and the Pentagon in the 1970s.

Ayers remains unapologetic and unrepentant of these actions, saying things like “I don’t regret setting bombs” and “I feel we didn’t do enough.”

Ayers’ visit to our campus is an absolute disgrace, and allowing such a speaker damages the credibility of the University of Illinois. It is bad enough that our tax dollars are funding his salary, but bringing him to campus is an absolute outrage.

Ayers is nothing more than a washed up anarchist who has been given a job because he’s not “mainstream” or “conformist.”

Anyone interested in protesting Mr. Ayers’ visit is encouraged to e-mail [email protected].