Illinois women’s tennis downs Buckeyes

By Alex Iniguez

After going down early by losing the doubles point, the No. 36 Illini women’s tennis team fought back to defeat No. 43 Ohio State, 5-2, in Columbus, Ohio, on Friday.

The Orange and Blue won five of six singles matches, four of which were decided in the third set, at the Ohio State Varsity Tennis Center. The match was moved indoors due to rain.

The top three lineup spots for the Illini downed their Buckeye counterparts, including a 2-6, 6-4, 6-0 win by junior Megan Fudge, who is ranked No. 108 in the nation.

“This was one of the most intense, dramatic and exciting college tennis matches that I’ve ever been a part of,” Illinois head coach Michelle Dasso said in a press release. “Our girls played with so much heart and guts. It was a complete team effort to battle back on the road after losing the doubles point, and I couldn’t be more proud of them. Matches like today’s are why I enjoy coaching so much.”

The victory improves Illinois’ record to 15-5 and 6-1 in the Big Ten, while the Buckeyes fell to 12-8 and 5-2 in the Big Ten. With the win, the Illini are tied for second place in the conference, moving out of a tie with Ohio State and into one with Michigan.

Illinois will be in action again Sunday when they travel to University Park, Pa., to take on the Penn State Nittany Lions (5-14, 2-5 Big Ten).