Some UI students plan to take mom out to bars

Sigma Chi mothers are lead down Daniels Street in Champaign, Saturday, April 14, 2007 by their sons in a pseudo initiation ceremony. As part of Mom’s Day, mothers whose sons were initiated this Spring were lead blindfolded into Kam’s at noon.

By Megan Graham

Although mixing moms with alcohol can be a tough decision for some, taking moms out on Moms Weekend is a popular choice.

Some students find the bar night life the perfect way to hang out with mom.

Whitney Slovick, junior in LAS, said she takes her mom out to the bars every year.

Slovick said her own mom usually behaves but that good behavior isn’t true of all moms who go out.

“I know friends’ moms who have danced on tables at bars before,” she said.

For the moms who have too much fun, America Campos, senior in LAS, said she knows of friends who have called Safe Rides for their moms after a late night out.

Tom Costello, assistant managing director of the Mass Transit District, said the service is there for moms in need.

“At the MTD, we like moms,” he said. “We’re glad when the moms come.”

However, not all students plan to take their moms out on the town.

Campos said she will not be taking her mom to the bars when she visits for Moms Weekend.

“It’s not a family environment,” she said. “Honestly, bars are not a place where you socialize for the Latina community, at least not in my family. But I do know people who bring their parents to the bars, and they have a lot of fun.”