W is for Working out

When it’s this cold outside, it’s hard to motivate yourself to do anything, let alone work out. I live just a few blocks away from CRCE, but I find it’s a real effort to have to put on my workout clothes, tie up my running shoes, find a water bottle, hike through the snow and then hop on an elliptical for half an hour. So, in order to get my recommended exercise for the day, I walk. Everywhere.

After they changed the bus routes, I never re-learned them. So even if it’s a blizzard or negative 10, I don’t really have much of a choice. It may not sound like much, but it adds up. Consider my schedule.

I wake up, walk to a couple of classes from my centrally located apartment building. Then I walk back home for lunch before I head to work, a good 15 minutes walk away. I’m on my feet there and I try to take the stairs over our elevator.

And at last, I walk back home for the night. Now I know what those of you who live at Capstone Quarters are saying; that would be impossible. You’re probably right. But now it’s your turn to get creative. My roommate and I are contemplating buying an exercise DVD. They’re pretty inexpensive and we’d be able to work out in our living room without facing the harsh elements. Plus, you have quite a large selection to choose from.

There’s step aerobics, Pilates, Tae Bo, yoga, dance videos, pole dancing videos, you name it. But if you do live somewhere like Capstone Quarters, you’re lucky. You’ve got a gym in your building, and that is the ideal (at least for me).

No dealing with winter weather, less competition over the machines … want to be workout buddies?

Alison Trouy is a junior in Media