Weekend entertainment features Jazz, art, Eminem

Designers have opportunity to showcase work at Krannert

This Friday night the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts Amphitheatre will host a PechaKucha night from 7 to 11:30 p.m.

PechaKucha 20×20 is a presentation event created by the founders of Klein Dytham architecture, originally done in Tokyo, Japan. Presenters, who can be anyone from children to emerging artists, are given six minutes, 40 seconds to present 20 slides for 20 seconds each. It is meant to be an un-intimidating format for people to get their work out there.

“We had met the organizers for the Champaign-Urbana design organization. We loved some of the projects they were doing and wanted to get involved,” said Bridget Lee-Calfas, Public Information Director for Krannert. “They were in the midst of planning their fourth night, and we decided we’d love to have them use the facilities.”

A double feature of Michael Douglas and Eminem.

This weekend, the Art Theatre in downtown Champaign will show two critically acclaimed movies back to back.

“Solitary Man” and “8 Mile” will play at the Art Theatre this Friday and Saturday, with “Solitary Man” beginning at 7:30 p.m. and “8 Mile” playing at 10 p.m. Thus far, those are the only nights scheduled for the next week that include “8 Mile”, but “Solitary Man” will play every day at 7:30 p.m.; as well as 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday; and 5 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Urbana resident Ron Klein believes the Art Theatre is important to Champaign.

“Champaign has grown up quite a bit. It is a town now where you can have a drink while watching a movie,” Klein said. “The Art Theatre is independently owned, making all this possible. I recommend anyone to go out and support something in your community that doesn’t have a corporate logo.”

A little jazz in Hessel Park

The Hessel Park Sunday night concert series continues this Sunday with the Boneyard Jazz Quintet.

The concert, scheduled (weather permitting) from 6:30 to 8 p.m., is sponsored by the Champaign Park District.

Boneyard Jazz Quintet trombone player Morgan Powell said the quintet is all about the music.

“We are seasoned jazz players who have played with many name bands,” Powell said. “We play tunes that people know by Duke Ellington, George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie and more.”

The concert this Sunday is the fifth concert of six in the Hessel Park concert series. The series will conclude Sunday, Aug. 8, when Lonnie Lester performs.