Greek housing offers close-knit community

More than 6,700 students are involved in the Greek community, and the opportunity to live in a sorority or fraternity house can be one of the craziest or most rewarding experiences of a student’s college career.

Mike Kean, senior in LAS and President of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, said living in a Greek house certainly has its benefits.

“It’s definitely cheaper than living in an apartment or the dorms, and I’m living with 50 of my best friends,” he said. “I love everything about it.”

There is a two-year living requirement for the fraternity, with mostly sophomores, juniors and a few seniors currently living in the house. Kean said this is a great way to get to know the other men in the house.

“Living with so many guys is great,” he said. “It feels like we are such a tight-knit community.”

Lauren Kisly, junior in LAS and member of Alpha Xi Delta sorority agrees. She said living in a Greek house is a great way to bond with her sisters.

“You get to know the girls pretty quickly,” she said. “If there is anything I need, there is always someone I can talk to.”

Kisly said one of the best parts of living in a house is that there are a lot of girls in the same classes, and it is fun to get together and study in the living room.

However, she said a big disadvantage of living in a house is the lack of privacy. There are a few singles in each house, but most rooms have two or three other people living in them.

“I lived in an apartment last year, and it was nice to have my own bedroom and bathroom,” she said.

She said she loves to cook and wishes she had her own kitchen but isn’t complaining about the food.

“I love the food at the house,” she said. “It’s one less thing I have to worry about.”

Amy Divito, junior in LAS and member of Sigma Kappa sorority, said she actually prefers living in the house to her own apartment.

While she said she likes having privacy, she misses hanging out with the other girls.

“I actually liked going downstairs to find other girls to talk to and watch TV shows with,” she said. “But it’s nice that I only have to share my bathroom with three other girls instead of 50.”

Divito said she spends more time at the Sigma Kappa house than her own apartment.

“I liked living in the house,” she said. “I didn’t have to worry about paying utility bills and buying groceries like I do now. It really adds up when you don’t live in a house.”

Overall, Kisly said the time she has spent with her sisters so far has been worthwhile.

“For me, it was a bit difficult to make the transition from living in an apartment to living in the house,” she said. “But it’s honestly been the best experience I’ve had at college so far.”