Pieters headed to World Amateur Team Championships

Illini golfers Scott Langley and Thomas Pieters will represent their respective countries in the 2010 World Amateur Team Championships in Buenos Aires from Oct. 28 to 31.

Langley will compete for the United States while Pieters will compete for Belgium.

“I’m very excited for this opportunity,” Langley said. “Getting a chance to represent the U.S. is an amazing feeling. I’ve had it once before in the Palmer Cup.”

Pieters will get his first chance to play for his home country.

“I’m really looking forward to this,” Pieters said. “It has been a goal of mine to represent my country for as long as I can remember. I’ve worked hard to get here and can’t wait to get out there and play.”

Each team consists of only two or three amateurs from their respective country.

Langley has tried to get back on track for this tournament after last week’s final nine-hole struggle at the Jack Nicklaus Invitational.

“You know, last week I played two great rounds and then struggled the last nine holes,” Langley said. “I’m going to get some good practice rounds in when we get down there to be fully prepared to play my best golf.”

With the Illini fall season now over, both Langley, a senior, and Pieters, a freshman, are valuing the experience they hope to gain in Buenos Aires.

“I think I can make a good impression out there,” Pieters said. “It will help me gain experience that I can bring back here. I can’t wait to go up against this top competition.”

“This type of tournament definitely makes you learn more about your game,” Langley said. “It will help with the comfort level when we come back for Big Ten play in the spring.”

The competition also marks the first time Pieters and Langley will have an opportunity to play against each other.

“I think it’s definitely going to be fun to compete against Scott. I want to try and beat him,” chuckled Pieters. “It’s going to be interesting.”