Kozai, wheelchair basketball team open season Friday

By Samantha Kiesel

In 2008, with only the basics of English in his vocabulary, Hiroaki Kozai came to a foreign country, enrolled in a community college and took a risk. All with the goal of being on the Illini wheelchair basketball team.

Kozai’s recruitment process for Illinois started when he was 12 years old. Illinois wheelchair basketball head coach Mike Frogley met Kozai in the athlete’s home country of Japan while working at a basketball camp. Frogley knew Kozai could play at the college level.

“He was really talented at the camp, and at the end of the camp I sat down with him and his dad, and I said, ‘You know what, there are a lot of opportunities out there, and if you continue to work hard at your game, but more importantly, if you work hard in school and you work hard at learning English, then you could have the potential to come to the United States and play college wheelchair basketball.’” Frogley said.

Kozai interpreted his introduction to Illinois differently.

“(Frogley) kept asking me if I wanted to come (to Illinois) when I was 12 or 13,” Kozai said. “I thought he was kind of joking around, but he was actually kind of serious about it.”

Frogley kept in touch as Kozai grew older, e-mailing him when he was in high school. During that time, Kozai knew Frogley’s offer was serious, but there was one problem: a language barrier.

“I couldn’t speak English at all, so I was kind of worried and hesitant to come, but I got encouragement from players and teammates from both Illinois and my club team in Japan,” Kozai said.

Kozai chose to go to Champaign but could not attend Illinois without knowing English. He enrolled at Parkland College and took an English as a second language course while practicing with the Illinois wheelchair basketball team.

After two and a half years, in January 2010, Kozai was accepted to the University — he could finally play in an Illinois wheelchair basketball game.

“It was really special,” Kozai said. “I got to play with (former Illini teammate) Steve Serio, I think he’s the best player now.”

As an Illini, Kozai played in last season’s national title game. Illinois won in front of Kozai’s parents, who watched their son play as a collegiate athlete for the first time.

“His parents came over from Japan to see the tournament, and it was neat for them to see what their sacrifice and their encouragement and support have led to his success academically, his success athletically,” Frogley said.

After winning the national title, the Illini even earned the honor to meet President Barack Obama.

“It was awesome; I got to shake his hand,” Kozai said. “None of my friends believed me that I met him. They saw the pictures and looked and were like, ‘OK that’s him,’” Kozai added, laughing.

Now that last season is over, the Illini are looking to repeat their success, and Kozai looks to bring his technique to the court.

“He is more technical with his shot than anyone else,” senior Brian Bell said. “I would say he is the best shooter on our team right now. He knows how to set himself up for a shot and he knows how to position himself when a defender is coming at him.”

Now a sophomore, Kozai will get the chance to prove himself Friday at 7 p.m. as the Illini open the new season at the ARC at the Illini Classic tournament.

Kozai attributes what he has learned to Frogley, saying “he teaches us about doing the right thing, not just basketball.”

Those lessons learned may pay off in the future, as Kozai wants to start a wheelchair basketball program, like Illinois’, in Japan.

And when asked what he has learned from Illinois, Kozai could answer in one word: “English.”