Members to discuss likely merge of city organizations

Champaign City Council will receive a report on a proposed agreement between the city and the Champaign Center Partnership during their study session Tuesday night.

Since last summer the Champaign Downtown Association and the Campustown Business Group have been working to form one organization. The Champaign Center Partnership is an incorporation of the areas of downtown Champaign, Campustown and the area in between which has been named “midtown.”

Champaign Center Partnership has now begun finalizing a work program and budget but needs city support with start-up costs. The proposed agreement would provide city staffing support for 20 hours per week and financial contributions for up to $50,000 during the next fiscal year.

The $50,000 is budgeted in the city’s food and beverage fund, which is supported through taxes.

Downtown Champaign and Campustown have struggled over the years to keep marketing and promotion activities organized and sufficiently funded, according to city documents. The unified organization is expected to be able to market these areas, as well as midtown Champaign, equally over time.

The city council will convene at 7 p.m. in Champaign City Hall, 102 N. Neil St.