College of Law probe demands UI integrity

Sunday evening, news broke that the College of Law was under investigation for falsifying test and GPA scores for the Class of 2014.

Well, this sounds familiar.

It’s hard not to equate the types of inaccuracies reported and the actions being taken with the all-too-recent admissions scandal that exposed the University’s “Category I” clout list in 2009. This latest investigation does not echo the clout scandal exactly, but it does remind us of how badly it marred the school’s image — and how we’re still rebuilding after more than two years of resignations, searches for new administrators and falling rankings nationwide.

Press releases, notifications and President Michael Hogan’s email early Monday morning at least assure us that the school is investigating this incident and an administrator has been placed on administrative leave as a direct result. And we hope they get to the bottom of this mess, especially when we consider that at least one College of Law official currently on leave was tied, however loosely, to the 2009 admissions scandal when he admitted that “special interest” applicants were granted admission to the college.

As Hogan said, they’re taking this seriously. And we’re glad they are. Inaccurate median LSAT scores and GPAs for a class is misleading to applicants looking at a university that they think is better than it actually is. Just take Villanova University, which has been severely censured by the American Bar Association, the organization that accredits law schools. For the next two years, they will have to broadcast to website visitors, many of whom may be potential students, that they misreported — you guessed it — data concerning LSAT scores and GPAs. If the College of Law, or any unit of the University for that matter, faced such a censure, it would be a severe blow to all of us.

If a wrongdoing, whatever it may be, occurred, we are glad the University has taken the steps to stop it. But as the University steps forward and as the details of this investigation unfold, it is vital that the University upholds its commitment to what Hogan called a “tone of integrity and transparency.”