C-U selects International Humanitarian Award recipients

By The Daily Illini

The cities of Urbana and Champaign and the Champaign-Urbana International Humanitarian Awards Steering Committee will honor recipients of the 2011 CU International Humanitarian Awards at a reception and dinner on Thursday.

Gary W. Grogan from Humanitarian Relief, International Hospitality Committee and Mortenson Center for International Library Programs are the award recipients.

The ceremony will take place at the I Hotel and Conference Center, 1900 S. First Street in Champaign, with the reception at 6 p.m. and the dinner program at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $30 and must be purchased in advance at the City of Champaign Community Relations Office, 102 N. Neil Street, or by calling 217-403-8830.

The Master of Ceremony will be Mike Haile from WDWS/WHMS Radio Station’s “Mike in the Morning.” The Philippine Student Association, Persian Cultural Association and Johnny Huang will perform. And if that’s not enough, an international art exhibit will be available for display.

The purpose of the C-U International Awards is to honor individuals and/or organizations that significantly contributed to the international understanding, cooperation, friendship and development. There are issues such as agriculture, hospitality, humanitarian relief, human rights, research/education, trade and business.