Block party showcases art-related RSOs

Art-related registered student organizations came out to the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts over the weekend to showcase all different kinds of art, including life drawing, folk dance and fiber arts. The event, the “Taste of the Arts” block party, was held Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m and was hosted by the Krannert Center Student Association, or KCSA.

The block party allowed students to learn about the type of art of their preference, said Shalini Rangnani, freshman in Engineering.

“I am interested in performing arts,” Rangnani said. “So just (watching performances) is fun for me.”

Yanfen Li, president of KCSA, said the event not only gives a taste of the arts but also engages the community members in different arts without requiring any specific prior knowledge.

“This event is for people to discover the artist inside of them,” Li said. “When you tell someone it’s art, people usually think of drawing or music. No one really realizes the vast scope that the arts encompasses.”

The event serves as a mini Quad Day for art-related RSOs, said Ann Poppen, KCSA advisor. The KCSA has hosted this event since the 1960s, she added.

“It is an effort to put the spotlight on some of the creative RSOs that are happening in town that might get lost in something as big as Quad Day,” she said.

Throughout the day, 14 performances were held, such as the Varsity Men’s GLEE Club, Illini Film and Video and iSalsa. There were also 18 booths set up during the day that provided information as well as hands-on demonstrations for students. Attendees were able to try out many of the arts displayed at the booths.

Amanda Hungerford, member of the Illini Folk Dance Society and recent University graduate, said the event serves as a good opportunity to discover what other art-related RSOs are out there.

“So far, I really had a fun time making one of the little books from the I.D.E.A. Store, and I learned a little bit about weaving,” Hungerford said.

Student exposure to the arts was a main goal of the event, Li said.

“It’s an event to come and discover what different things are out there and all the different opportunities on campus and in the community,” she said.