Troyer scandal requires faculty investigation

University President Michael Hogan’s former chief of staff went from having an embarrassing lapse of judgement that would have cost most of their jobs to a tenured faculty position with a six-figure salary and summers off.

That’s right, Lisa Troyer currently holds a job that many professors dream about — only because of her regressions late last semester while serving as Hogan’s chief advisor.

Troyer formally accepted the full-time appointment in the department of psychology last week after campus officials fulfilled the promise that was made when she was first brought in with Hogan.

When Hogan was chosen in 2010, he made an unprecedented move by hiring a chief of staff. In that contract, she was given a zero-time faculty appointment and a full-time offer if she left her then-$195,000 administration job.

Troyer resigned from that position last month in the midst of an investigation into the anonymous emails she allegedly sent to the University Senates Committee; the emails were intended to influence the faculty group’s decision on Hogan’s admissions recommendations.

The recent controversy, as the “Category I” admissions scandal has shown, demonstrates that high-ranking officials can retain a faculty position even after resigning in disgrace.

Some faculty are displeased with her appointment offer, and campus officials and faculty leaders will have a chance to conduct its own investigation into whether she violated University policies.

This is the fairest way to proceed for all relevant parties. Troyer will be given due process as any alleged offender should receive. And if her peers find that she violated any University policies, she should be dismissed all together.

But the campus’s review of her actions will cost time and money, in addition to the $200,000 the University spent on the initial investigation. If the review finds her blameless, there could be an uproar from faculty leaders and her colleagues in the department about the decision.

Why didn’t she reject the appointment letter in the first place and end her brief stint as a University employee? It would have been the noble thing to do after the investigators found her to have sent the anonymous emails. And it would’ve saved the campus more trouble.