Local roads close for protest

The Champaign Police Department has issued a traffic advisory for today between 5:15 and 7:15 p.m. near Neil Street and Kirby Avenue. Police say there will be a high volume of pedestrian traffic.

Between 3000 and 5000 protesters are expected to congregate in the Assembly Hall parking lots to protest the visiting Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, who recently signed a “right to work” bill into law.

Protesters feel the law will limit collective bargaining in Indiana, and do not want Illinois to propose a similar bill. The protest is called “Right to work won’t work in Illinois.”

Tonight, Daniels is speaking at the Champaign County Republican Party’s Lincoln Day Dinner at the Hilton Garden Inn Conference Center.

As a result of the protest, Kirby Avenue will be closed between Neil Street and Oak Street, while Oak Street will be closed from Kirby Avenue to St. Mary’s Road. The actual intersection of Neil Street and Kirby Road will be open except for a brief closing for pedestrian crossing.

Police are asking drivers to avoid this area during this time, and to watch for pedestrians if they do drive through.