Two students face charges of sexual assault

A University student was released on bond Wednesday after being charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault of another student.

Brian O’Donnell, senior in AHS, went out drinking at the bars Thursday night with his personal assistant as well as the victim. After returning to Nugent Hall, O’Donnell, who uses a wheelchair, allegedly sexually assaulted the victim in his room with the help of his assistant.

Champaign County State’s Attorney Julia Rietz said O’Donnell was charged Tuesday. He was charged with two counts of aggravated sexual assault. On Wednesday, bond was initially set at $250,000 but was reduced to $100,000 during a hearing. O’Donnell was released after paying $10,000, or 10 percent of his bond.

“He was not taken to jail, and the reason is because of his disabilities,” University police Capt. Roy Acree said. “The jail would not be able to handle the types of disabilities he has.”

Along with O’Donnell, his personal assistant Thomas Roman Jr., was arrested Sunday on two charges of aggravated sexual account. Acree said Roman’s bond was set at $50,000.

“The judge ordered (O’Donnell) to wear a GPS monitoring ankle bracelet,” Rietz said. “He is not allowed to contact the victim and the residence hall. Housing has moved him to a different residence hall.”

The victim also has a physical disability, according to court records.

The case will continue on Oct. 23 for O’Donnell, and Roman is expected to find an attorney for arraignment on Sept. 18.

Acree said the police interviewed the victim Tuesday.

“We have touched base with the victim,” he said. “As far as we can tell, she is doing fine.”

Aggravated criminal sexual assault is a class X felony and could result in a six- to 30-year sentence.

_Carina can be reached at [email protected]._

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Thomas Roman Jr. is a student of the University. According to campus spokeswoman Robin Kaler, he is not a student. The Daily Illini regrets this error.