C-U, campus honor victims of Sept. 11

Students and members of the Champaign-Urbana community can participate in several activities Tuesday to memorialize the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

* At 5:45 a.m., the annual 9-11 Memorial Run will be held in affiliation with the Tri-Service ROTC. The formation for the run begins on the west side of the Armory at 5:45 a.m., which is expected to include approximately 250 students from the Air Force, Army and Navy divisions of the ROTC.

* Starting at 7:45 a.m., students, faculty, staff and elected officials will place American flags with the name of a victim on the Quad. The Jupiter String Quartet will perform Tuesday at 7:46 a.m., the time the first plane hit the World Trade Center, in Smith Hall.

The performance will include two songs played by the quartet and is expected to last 20 min. Anyone is welcome to attend the free performance. The audience is asked to enter and leave in silence, and there will be no speaking from the stage.

* The cities of Champaign and Urbana will host a Sept. 11 Memorial Service at West Side Park, 400 W. University Ave., Champaign.

The service, which begins at 8 a.m., will feature presentations from the Champaign and Urbana police and fire departments, along with Champaign firefighter Lt. Todd Hitt playing the bagpipes. The police and fire departments will make tributes to those who lost their lives in the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and Flight 93.

The memorial will last approximately 20 minutes and is open to the public. The public is encouraged to arrive 10 minutes before the service begins and to congregate near the corner of Church and State streets in Champaign.

* Campus will also remember Sept. 11 by aiming to package more than 10,000 meals to fight local hunger. The meals will be sent to the Eastern Illinois Foodbank.

At 6:30 p.m., students can gather at the Wesley United Methodist Church and Wesley Foundation, 1203 W. Green St., Urbana, on campus to package the meals. The meal packaging project will be through a partnership with the Illini Fighting Hunger and Office of Volunteer Programs.

* An interfaith dialogue will take place after the packaging to encourage religious tolerance. This event is led by registered student organization Interfaith in Action. The event will be co-sponsored by the Muslim Students Association, Illini Hillel and the Sikh Student Association.

All are invited to attend a vigil on the Quad at 8:30 p.m. in remembrance of all lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001. The vigil is sponsored by the College Republicans at UIUC and the Conservative Student Union, but the ceremony is nonpartisan and all individuals are encouraged to attend.