Bottoms up to syllabus week

Despite the sandy beach vacations in far-off places, summer can be quite stressful: a crappy job (maybe two crappy jobs), an internship from hell, loads of summer classes or living at home with your parents and remembering why you moved out in the first place. To remedy all of that, we have Syllabus Week, where the free time is high and the quantity of liquor around campus is higher.

There were parties every night this week, and it’s unlikely many escaped the lure of a bar or apartment soirée. Whether you drank this weekend or decided to hardcore prepare for the new semester, finish the laziest week of the year with something a bit classier than the Frat Water (a.k.a. Keystone) and Jungle Juice that is available everywhere.

With that, here’s to a great Syllabus Weekend (and great Syllabus Weekend drinks):

It may be the end of the easiest week of the semester, but you still have to make it to class on Monday. Why not have a little fun in that 9 a.m. lecture with this early morning beverage?

The Wake Up Call

Vessel of choice: Coffee Mug

4 oz. coffee

2 oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream

1 oz. coffee liqueur (such as Kahlúa)

Garnish with cinnamon

When you’ve seen the semester’s high number of exams and projects, you might be feeling all hope is lost. Shoot that despair down and drink this straight up (and don’t worry, it goes down easy — the sour flavor combats the taste of the vodka).

Syllabus Shooter

Vessel of choice: Shot glass

2 parts Vodka

1 part Triple Sec

1 part Lime juice

Garnish with a lime twist

Minimum-wage jobs and loans can only get you so far, but this will do the trick without breaking the bank.

Money, Money, Money

Vessel of choice: Martini glass

2 oz. Vodka

1 oz. Sour Apple Schnapps (or 1.5 oz. Apple juice or cider)

Garnish with a cherry

Grown-up, a bit dry and cold — basically, the drink speaks for itself.

The Professor

Vessel of choice: Rocks glass

2 oz. whiskey

1 oz. dry vermouth

Bitters, if you want

Ice cubes, crushed

Garnish with a cherry

Raise one to our girl, Alma. She’ll be back from her makeover in the spring, and we can wait out her return with this tasty drink, reminiscent of Alma’s blue-ish hue.

Alma Margarita

Vessel of choice: Any kind of glass

4 oz. tequila

2 oz. lime juice

2 oz. blue curacao

Crushed ice

Salted rim

Lime wedge

Dude, you just drank five nights in a row and are about to drink for three more. This guy is now your best friend. Treat him well.

The Pick-Me-Up

Water

Ryan can be reached at [email protected]