A note from the editor

By Maggie Huynh

There’s no doubt college is becoming less affordable each year.

Still, this University sees many students and families who are willing to take out loans, pay out of pocket and work extra jobs to pay for an Illinois education. 

So where does Salary Guide fit in? 

The Daily Illini publishes its annual Salary Guide to allow students, parents and even state taxpayers to see where their money goes. 

Are those lackluster professors who receive hefty paychecks truly deserving of their high salaries? What about those loved professors who don’t make half of what the University’s top earners make?

By publishing these salaries, we are holding the University and its employees accountable for the education of more than 40,000 students. Those who are paying to attend this school will be able to see if money is being fairly distributed based on performance. 

This year, our print publication is less about listing the salaries of the highest paid employees. Student tuition and Illinois taxpayer money is being allocated toward areas you might not have thought about. This includes retired professors who come back because they love teaching, but it’s also paying the salaries of former University presidents who resigned amid scandals. 

We hope that through Salary Guide, you’ll be able to better understand how your money is being used. 

Maggie can be reached at [email protected] and @maggiehuynh.