Big Ten basketball power rankings: Jan. 22 edition

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini basketball staff ranks the basketball teams in the Big Ten 1-12 and compiles the lists into its own Big Ten power rankings.

1. Michigan State

2. Michigan

Many critics thought Michigan’s chances at a Big Ten title disappeared when the Wolverine’s Mitch McGary went down with a season ending back injury. But the Maize and Blue have yet to lose in Big Ten play and find themselves in second behind their in-state rivals from East Lansing. Last week’s win over Wisconsin in the Kohl Center was an impressive statement for last year’s national runner-up. 

3. Wisconsin

4. Iowa

The Hawkeyes look to extend their winning streak to four games Saturday when they travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., to play Michigan, who is undefeated in conference play. The Hawkeyes streak includes a marquee win at Ohio State on Jan. 12 that will look good on Iowa’s resume come March. Roy-Devyn Marble continues to fuel the charge with 16.3 points per game for Iowa. 

5. Minnesota

6. Indiana

7. Ohio State

Ohio State opened up the season 15-0 but hasn’t won since, dropping four straight after a 2-0 start to conference play. All-American candidate Aaron Craft has not been himself, turning the ball over 4.75 times per game during the losing streak. The Buckeyes (15-4, 2-4 Big Ten) play Illinois on Thursday, a team trying to snap a four-game losing streak of its own. 

8. Purdue

9. Illinois

10. Northwestern

11. Nebraska

The Cornhuskers have struggled as many expected them to. But few expected them to upset Ohio State on Monday for their first conference win. Huskers Terron Petteway and Shavon Shields led the way for Nebraska with 18 points each. Nebraska will face Penn State on Thursday in the battle for the conference cellar. 

12. Penn State