‘Limited visibility’ on C-U area roads

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Illinois State Police is urging people to use caution if traveling through Tuesday’s winter storm.

District 10 officials also encouraged motorists to travel cautiously due to slippery and snow covered roads and limited visibility.

Winter road conditions on Interstate 74, I-57 and I-72 in Champaign County are being reported as snow or ice covered by the Illinois Department of Transportation.

From noon to 5 p.m., ISP reported that it had handled three crashes and assisted 13 motorists whose vehicles slid off the road.

Blowing snow has caused decreased visibility on roads making it almost nonexistent at times, according to a press release.

The ISP is urging extreme caution when driving on bridge decks, overpasses, exit ramps and areas near guardrails, as this is where frost forms first. Drivers are encouraged to drive slow and keep an emergency kit with them. If stranded, motorists are encouraged to stay in their vehicles.

The ISP is also reminding drivers to slow down when approaching stationary emergency vehicles with their lights on and to switch lanes if possible.