Illini men’s track takes three events at Frank Sevinge Husker Invitational

By Nicholas Fortin

The Illinois men’s track and field team finished the Frank Sevinge Husker Invitational with three event wins and 22 top-10 finishes, its second impressive showing in as many weeks. 

The Illini were able to build off a strong overall performance from last weekend at the Indiana Relays, where they recorded 17 top-10 finishes, to perform well from start to finish of the two-day meet in Lincoln, Neb. 

“We’re starting to come together,” head coach Mike Turk said in a press release. “We still have a way to go, and we’re not quite where we want to be, but we had some breakthrough performances this weekend. We’re slowly coming together as a team and the performances are getting better.”

The Illini distances runners lead the team throughout the weekend with sophomore Joe McAsey and graduate student Jannis Toepher winning the 600-meter run and 3,000 meters, respectively. 

Senior Zebo Zebe also contributed an event win for the Illini with a first-place finish in the unseeded 800 meters. 

Seniors Davis Fraker and Cody Klein contributed to Illinois’ strong showing in the field events on the weekend as both finished in second place their respective events. Fraker took second in the weight throw and Klein garnered a second-place finish in the pole vault. 

Nicholas can be reached at [email protected] and @IlliniSportsGuy.