Dream house made of campus buildings

Frank Warren, author of the New York Times’ best seller, “PostSecret: Confessions on Life, Death, and God”, presented a multimedia presentation at the Foellinger Auditorium on Nov. 5.

Haven’t you ever wanted to go to Foellinger Auditorium, pull the screen down, and play video games on the projector? Wouldn’t it be great to have a kitchen as big as Ikenberry Dining Hall? The buildings we enter every day for lectures and discussions on campus are extraordinary, so I decided to create my dream housing situation by putting together some of my favorites. These are some of the rooms and spaces at the University I would combine to create one ideal and faultless mansion.

The Living Room

In the Illini Union’s South Lounge, students can find majestic furniture and soothing ambience that they can only wish they had in their personal living rooms. Imagine going home, kicking off your shoes, pouring yourself a cup of coffee, and lying down on one of the South Lounge’s couches. What better view than the beauty of our Quad to complement such a zen-filled living room?

The Entertainment Complex

Foellinger Auditorium seems to have the grandeur that a techie, cinephile or video game lover would search for in the ultimate home movie theater. With the brilliant acoustics and simply too much room to know what to do with, having this auditorium as your own personal entertainment complex would call for screenings of great films like “The Shining” and an E-vite to 1,500 of your closest friends.

The Sun Room

Every time I walk into the foyer of the Foreign Languages Building, the light casting through the windows onto the people inside gives them an angelic lighting effect. The building always has so much natural light that anyone with an insufficiency in Vitamin D should be prescribed a couple visits a day to the FLB. It is also a very relaxed place where a student can sit down, open a book and sip on some tea, making it the ultimate sunroom, both in the winter and summer.

The Kitchen

Imagine descending the stairs in your own home in your pajamas, only to walk into a kitchen the size of the Ikenberry Dining Hall. Pancakes, waffles, omelets, orange juice and freshly poured milk all waiting for you on your own personal table with the sun streaming in through the large glass windows. That would be the ultimate way to start each day.

The Backyard

This is an obvious one, but it is too great not to mention. Opening your back door to enter the one-and-only Main Quad would truly be the cherry on the cake. No-hassle personal workouts, the perfect place to walk your dog or dogs, and a fantastic venue to throw a summer party.

Alex is a freshman in LAS. He can be reached at [email protected].