Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian speaks at Siebel Center

By Alice Smelyansky

The man behind almost every trending Internet sensation is speaking at the Thomas M. Siebel Center for Computer Science on Tuesday as part of a nation-wide college book tour. 

Alexis Ohanian, Reddit co-founder and author of “Without their Permission: How the 21st Century Will Be Made, Not Managed,” will engage in an entrepreneurial discussion with a University alum and participate in a networking event with students from 5 to 7 p.m.

Ohanian created Reddit, a site that allows users to post links and “upvote” them to the front of the webpage, in 2005 with Steve Huffman. The site is divided into various categories based on interests named “subreddits,” and users have the ability to vote on submissions to increase their visibility. Reddit is also known for its culture of free speech and loose regulations of content, igniting controversy throughout the years. 

As of 2013, according to a Reddit blog, the site has received 56 billion page views, 3,676,091,578 comment votes and 6.7 billion total votes. The most popular post in 2013 was “What gif reduces you to hysterical laughter every time,” and users commented with links to their favorite gifs, or small moving images. 

“Without their Permission: How the 21st Century Will Be Made, Not Managed,” is about Ohanian’s journey as a young entrepreneur and includes tips and advice for those who aspire to “harness the power” of the Web, just as he did.

Alice can be reached at [email protected].