Illini men’s golf compete at USF Invitational

By Dan Bernstein

After recording the second-best round in school history with an 8-under-par 64 Sunday, junior Brian Campbell put himself in solid position to win the individual title at the 17-team USF Invitational in Dade City, Fla.

Campbell posted a 6-under-par 30 on the front nine, as he birdied four out of the first seven holes and eagled the ninth. Campbell then turned to the back nine and posted a two-under-par 34 to put himself in a tie for second place after the first round of the 54-hole tournament.

Illinois finished in a three-way tie for fourth place in the team standings, behind North Carolina-Greensboro, South Florida and Florida State.

The Illini also got a solid contribution from Charlie Danielson, who posted a 4-under-par 68 to help put the No. 7 Illini into a tie for sixth place in the team competition after the first round. Jonathan Hauter posted a 1-over 73, while Thomas Detry and David Kim both posted 3-over 75s.

The conditions were a bit tougher Monday at the 7,153-yard Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club. Despite the windy conditions, the Illini were able to move into third place after the second round by posting an 8-under team score of 280.

Campbell posted a 5-under-par 67, which put him into sole possession of first place.

Detry also posted a career-best 5-under 67, which helped lift the Illini into third place after 36 holes behind No. 33 South Florida and No. 20 Florida State. David Kim and Charlie Danielson also contributed to the Illini’s efforts with respective scores of 72 and 74. Danielson was tied for 20th place after two rounds.

The Illini were looking to take advantage of the favorable scoring conditions Tuesday by being more aggressive. Danielson had a 2-under 70 and finished tied for 20th in the individual standings, while Detry and Kim posted respective rounds of 71 and 69; Detry tied for 22nd while Kim finished 43rd.

After posting a one-under par 35 on the front nine, Campbell birdied holes 13 and 14 to take a one-shot overall lead over Florida State’s Jack Maguire. The lead did not last long as Campbell bogeyed the 451-yard par-4 16th, before making pars on 17 and 18 to finish with a 2-under 70 for the day and 15-under for the tournament. The Seminoles’ Maguire was able to birdie the 420-yard par-4 18th hole to finish a 10-under round of 62 and take the individual title by one stroke.

Dan can be reached at [email protected] and @yaboybernie11.