KoFusion opening doors by end of the week

Photo illustration by Kelly Hickey, The Daily Illini The DI’s dish of the week is the Big Roll from KoFusion in Champaign.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

After a year of construction, popular sushi restaurant KoFusion will finally open the doors to its new campus location next week.  

The restaurant, 701 S. Gregory St., will be open by either Thursday or Friday, owner Janet Bubin said.

Last March, Bubin announced that she would be opening a new restaurant on campus in partnership with JSM Development. Her first restaurant was opened in the downtown Champaign area during the summer of 2005.

Bubin said the plan of opening a second restaurant has been in the works for more than 10 years. When she finally decided to go for it, she initially wanted to open up closer to campus on Green Street; however, that plan fell through after she failed to find the right location.

“It’s been a long project,” Bubin said. “We just waited and waited so we finally went to Gregory Street.”

Bubin stated the new restaurant will be a quick service restaurant, meaning it will have the same style as a fast-food restaurant. However, she said that doesn’t change the quality of the establishment.

“We do only use natural meat and sustainable seafood, and local vegetables,” Bubin said. “A lot of people think it’s going to be fine dining, it’s a QSR. So let’s call it fine fast food.”

The restaurant is hiring positions for cashiers, food servers, sushi toppers and sushi rollers.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the Urbana location of KoFusion opened over this past weekend. The restaurant will open either Thursday or Friday. The Daily Illini regrets the error.