Spring brings warm weather, lively fashion

University students show off their trending fashion styles on the Engineering Quad in March 2014.

By Ariana Conner

From snow one day to sunshine the next: It is clear that spring is finally here. As the seasons transition, wardrobes will also adjust. Winter clothes are pushed to the back of the closet, while the spring wardrobe makes its way to the front.

Some of the popular 2014 spring fashion trends include bright neon colors, pastel patterns and skirts with long socks.

Britney Turner, CEO of HerStyle Media Company and senior in LAS, runs the blog herstylexo.com, which covers topics such as entertainment and fashion. Turner said she was inspired during summer 2012 to launch her site after noticing that her friends needed a platform to promote their work.

“I always wanted to blog about fashion and music. I figured why not build that platform for people to display themselves, not to just their core group of friends, but to other people around the world,” Turner said.

HerStyle Media has had the opportunity to interview well-known stars in the fashion and entertainment industry. Turner said one of her biggest accomplishments is interviewing Vanessa Posso, creator of Rich Girlz, a jewelry collection worn by many celebrities on some VH1 programs, such as “Love and Hip Hop and Basketball Wives.”

Spring fashion do’s

HerStyle Media has a fashion section that features the latest fashions and how to wear the trends. Turner said some of the top spring fashions for this year she has seen are pastel patterns and big accent accessories such as pearls and chains.

Kasey Daniels, stylist for HerStyle Media and senior LAS, said working for the company forces her to use her creative side. As a stylist, Daniels said ’90s fashions are back this spring with neon and bright colors, sporty looks and long socks with heels or boots.

Asha Woods, fashion blogger and junior in Business, follows and writes about fashion trends for HerStyle Media. Woods said some rising fashion stars include actress Lupita Nyong’o and Kendall and Kylie Jenner. For spring trends, Woods said she has seen a lot of crop tops, mini skirts and palazzo pants, which are long, flowing wide-leg pants.

Woods said she saw palazzo pants this spring on the runways of Paris. A good way to accompany the wide leg pants is a simply colored crop top, she advised.

“The key to any palazzo pants is fit. The pants can be high-waist or right above the hips, but they have to be just long enough to hit the floor,” Woods said. “Don’t let them drag or fit too wide or you will look like you’re drowning in fabric.”

Accessorizing tips

Turner said adding a statement accessory to your outfit can help the overall look. She said looking through magazines is a way to gain ideas on how to tie in accessories creatively with your wardrobe.

“Arm candy is a must, so make sure you’re always styling with a brightly colored clutch or oversized bag to add to your outfit without taking away from it,” Turner said.

Even with the turn of the season, Turner said accessories can cross over between seasons. One accessory she referenced was a light fabric scarf. Turner said a scarf can achieve a classier look for your outfit.

Turner said, despite the necessity of accessories, she advised caution.

“Don’t over-accessorize, that can take away from your outfit. If you’re going for the neon look, don’t incorporate too many bright colors in one attire. Two neon colors should be enough to get your fashion statement across,” she said.

Balancing springtime colors

Never wear too much of one color. Daniels said because students are already shining bright with neon coloring, go for a “color block” and add neutral colors, such as black, white and beige to balance out your attire.

“Color blocking involves the idea of pulling off a mesh of multiple colors that are generally bright or neon, while adding a neutral color to create a “blocked” visual. For example, a bright pink skirt paired with a basic white T-shirt is generally ideal,” Daniels said. “There are endless opportunities to wearing neon bright coloring this spring, so don’t be afraid to be bold in your style.”

Ariana can be reached at [email protected]