Five things to definitely take part in while living in Champaign-Urbana

By Abrar Al-Heeti

Champaign-Urbana is constantly brimming with activities and events. There’s hardly a dull moment on this campus. Here are just five events you won’t want to miss:

The Farmer’s Market

Market at the Square is held every Saturday morning — rain or shine — from 7 a.m. to noon at the corner of Illinois and Vine streets in downtown Urbana. Shop for local produce, enjoy some cool refreshments from local ice cream vendors, treat yourself to some sweet kettle corn and browse through handmade crafts. The market is held from May 3 to November 1.

Quad Day

This is a day no University of Illinois student should miss. Come to the Quad and learn about various campus organizations and clubs you can get involved in, and get some free stuff while you’re there. Have a good time relaxing with friends or meeting new people with similar — or even different — interests.

Japanese Tea Ceremony at Japan House

Take the opportunity to be part of a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. This is an experience that will give you a taste and appreciation of the art. Bring family or friends to take part in the ceremony with you. Don’t forget to take a walk through the scenic gardens around the Japan House as well.

Culture Shock

This is a great opportunity to get a taste of the diversity present at the University. Come to the Illini Union as different student organizations demonstrate aspects of their backgrounds. Enjoy watching cultural performances, listening to music and tasting unique food. All the while, you get to meet people from around the world.

Ebertfest

Named after Roger Ebert, a University alumnus, this film festival plays films Ebert felt did not get enough recognition at the time of their release. Attendees also have the opportunity to meet some well-known actors and directors who helped create the films. Ebertfest is held in the historic Virginia Theater, which is in itself a building to behold. Enjoy a weekend full of watching quality films with other fellow movie fans.

Abrar is a junior in Media. She can be reached at [email protected].