A letter from Director of Athletics Mike Thomas

Athletic director Mike Thomas

Athletic director Mike Thomas

Dear Fighting Illini Students,

On behalf of the entire Division of Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Illinois, I would like to welcome you to campus for the beginning of another great school year! I’m very excited to see what 2014-2015 holds after the many successes of the past year.

I have learned in my time at Illinois that this is a terrific campus in many ways. This University is a national leader in academics, research, community engagement, and athletics. The key element in each of these areas is our bright and talented student body. From my perspective, I have the pleasure of witnessing the incredible student support our athletic teams receive from their classmates. No matter the sport or event, I see that Illinois students truly are diehard Fighting Illini Fans! I thank you for your enthusiasm and devotion. You provide a great home team advantage for our student-athletes and we greatly appreciate your energetic and passionate support!

As this new academic year begins, I hope to see more and more of you at our sporting events and around campus. A vibrant and engaged student body is critical to a university’s success both in the classroom and on the field of competition. The high caliber of our teams and the thrill of a Big Ten athletic environment is something you should promise yourself to experience during your time on campus. I enjoyed meeting many of you at our events last year and I’m looking forward to doing so again in 2014-2015. I wish you a happy, successful, and productive school year, and I look forward to seeing you cheer the Illini on to victory!

Go Illini!

Mike Thomas