Discover the opportunities offered in University Housing

By Chandresh Nandani

I personally am a huge advocate for laziness from time to time. After spending all of your time moving in, exploring campus, making friends and preparing for class nothing feels better than spending your spare time in your room. 

However, just because you want to stay in your room, that doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the amazing opportunities that the residence halls have to offer. There are tons of amazing in-house opportunities that cater to the couch-potato in all of us. 

Let’s start out with something near and dear to my heart: food. 

All of the University Housing options have an awesome assembly of food on a regular basis. However, there are also tons of amazing speciality food nights as well. That means that you don’t have to leave your dorm to experience anything from savory soul food to more noodles than you could ever dream of. 

Check out the specialty options in your own dorm and try to hit up as many of the other specialty nights as possible. If you aren’t on a University meal plan, that’s just more incentive to make a friend in the dorms. 

Now let’s say that during this lazy day in that you want to let loose and do something other than binge watch “Orange is the New Black” on Netflix. You don’t have to go to a bar or the Union because all residence halls have you covered. 

Residence halls give you access to rec rooms, movie theaters or other types of entertainment. These amenities vary from place to place, but the residence halls want you to have a good time and chances are that you will be involved in a makeshift ping-pong competition in no time. 

If you would prefer to cuddle up with a good book instead, University Housing still has you covered. Libraries are available to any student at the University, and they have a great selection of books to chose from.

Finally, some of the coolest events I have attended on campus were at my dorm hall. There are huge staffs of devoted RAs and Multicultural Advisers there to give you awesome new experiences. These could include cultural fairs (often with free food), movie nights, guest speakers or even a drag show.

There could literally be a party happening right under your nose and that is one of coolest parts about living in the dorms. So even if you feel like staying in, don’t worry, there is plenty for you to experience right from home.  

Chandresh is a junior in LAS. He can be reached at

[email protected].