News around the sporting world

Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall (15) moves around Buffalo Bills cornerback Corey Graham (20) as he runs with the ball during the first quarter on Sunday.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Bears can’t hang on against Bills in 23-20 overtime loss

The Bears were chasing the Bills for most of the afternoon Sunday at Soldier Field. 

In the end, the Bills prevailed 23-20 in overtime on a 27-yard field goal by Dan Carpenter.

The Bills led 17-7 at the half as Carpenter kicked a 50-yard field goal and C.J. Spiller scored on a seven-yard pass from Manuel.

The Bears tied it at 17 on a 41-yard Gould field goal and an 11-yard TD catch by Brandon Marshall.

The Bears tied the game 20-20 when Robbie Gould kicked a 37-yard field goal with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

“We didn’t finish drives and we turned the ball over and put our defense in tough positions,” Bears coach Marc Trestman said.

The Bears played much of the game without offensive linemen Matt Slauson and Roberto Garza, both of whom sustained ankle injuries, Trestman said. 

Wide receiver Alshon Jeffery also missed much of the second half with a hamstring injury.

Hawks owner relinquishes control after racist emails

Hawks controlling owner Bruce Levenson has decided to sell his stake in the team amid an NBA investigation into an “inappropriate and offensive” email he wrote in 2012 about black fans, team and league officials announced Sunday.

“I trivialized our fans by making cliched assumptions about their interests (i.e. hip-hop vs. country, white vs. black cheerleaders, etc.) and by stereotyping their perceptions of one another (i.e. that white fans might be afraid of our black fans),” he said. “By focusing on race, I also sent the unintentional and hurtful message that our white fans are more valuable than our black fans.”

Levenson reported his email to the league in July, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement, noting that this summer, the NBA made annual training on anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policies mandatory. 

Golson’s big day leads Notre Dame to shutout of Michigan

Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson gave the Michigan Wolverines plenty to remember now that the football series between the schools has officially ended.

Golson passed for 226 yards and three touchdowns to lead the No. 16 Fighting Irish to a resounding 31-0 win over Michigan last night at Notre Dame Stadium in the last scheduled game in a series dating to 1887.

“Give Notre Dame credit for how they played,” Hoke said. “It was a total butt-kicking, all the way around, that we all took. We’re going back to work tomorrow as a team. We’ve got to get a lot better.”

“It feels great to beat Michigan,” Kelly said. “It feels great to be the first team in the history of Notre Dame football to shut out a Michigan team. Our kids can take that with them and feel great about it.”