Illinois women’s golf picks up second straight victory

The Illini women’s golf team came out of Noblesville, Ind., this weekend with its second straight win, topping Fresno State in the final round of match play by a score of 3-2. Illinois opened its weekend on Saturday, beginning with a single round of stroke play to determine the seeding for the match play tournament. The Illini received the third seed as Stephanie Miller finished tied for second with a round of 1-over-par, and Samantha Postillion also carded a 4-over par opening round.

Illinois entered the first round of match play against Boston College. Postillion started the day with a three-stroke victory for the Illini, and Miller followed suit with a one-stroke victory of her own, clinching the match with a par on the final hole. Grace Park rounded out the match for Illinois with a three-stroke victory, as the Illini went on to beat Boston College 3-2.

The second match play round was much more smooth for Illinois with a 4-1 victory over Indiana. Gattone and Jan Papassarangkul each carded one-stroke victories for the Illlini, and Grace Park added a three-stroke victory of her own. Postillion also won her match by one stroke against Elizabeth Tong of the Hoosiers, finishing off the win for the Illini.

On Sunday, Illinois faced Fresno State for the Hoosier Fall Invitational title on the line. The Illini jumped out to an early lead, with Papassarangkul topping Mimi Ho of Fresno State in a commanding fashion recording a six-stroke victory.

The rest of the matches were back and forth throughout the day, but emerging victorious were Miller and Gattone with four-stroke and two-stroke victories, respectively.

Miller faltered early, falling behind as her opponent, Samantha Spencer, eagled the opening hole. However, Miller rebounded to record five birdies on her round, including three straight on Nos. 9-11, to close out the match on the 16th hole of the day.

Gattone held a one-stroke lead going into the final four holes and a birdie on No. 17 helped her close out her victory.

The win was a total team effort from the Illini. Each player recorded a win during the three rounds of match play. Gattone, Miller, Park and Papassarangkul each went 2-1 in match play, as Postillion finished with a win, tie and loss in her three rounds.

The victory was the second in a row for the Illini, following up their victory at the Diane Thomason Invitational two weeks ago. The Illini will look to close out their fall season with a third straight win at the Jim West Challenge on Nov. 1 in Boeme, Texas.

Lucas can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @LucasWright95.