State Farm Center floods, court possibly damaged

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Overnight flooding at State Farm Center might have damaged the arena’s basketball court. The court has been elevated on wood blocking to dry and will continue to be evaluated.

A storm line blockage at approximately 3 a.m. Tuesday morning caused water to back up into the building. According to a press release from the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, “a few inches” of water accumulated on the event level.

Workers removed the water and installed fans to help dry the concrete floor.

As for the basketball court, the extent of the damage won’t be known for a few days. If the court is damaged beyond repair, the DIA is “prepared to secure an alternate playing surface,” but did not elaborate.

The athletic department also said the incident would not affect Illinois basketball’s schedule for the men’s or women’s teams. The men’s team still plans on hosting Quincy for an exhibition game at the arena on Nov. 7. The women’s team hosts its first exhibition the next night on Nov. 8.

State Farm Center is nearing the completion of the first phase of a three-year, $160 million renovation project. The basketball court was just installed in the arena on Friday. It has been in use since the 2011-12 basketball season, but was repainted and refinished over the summer.