Alpha Gamma Rho to host 40th annual “Foxy Lady Contest”

By Taylor Lucero

This year, Alpha Gamma Rho’s “Foxy Lady Contest: Battle of the Sorority Girls!” will take place at The Canopy Club on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.

The proceeds from this year’s event will go toward the Hubbard family for Katie Hubbard, who was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer last September. Hubbard said the fundraiser will help her and her family with their expenses, like medical bills, and give her the opportunity to spend time with her four children.

“When you get a terminal cancer diagnosis, and you know that your time is uncertain, there are things you want to do with the family to build memories,” Hubbard said. “And maybe take a trip or do some things that you would have thought, ‘maybe we’ll do that 10, 15, 20 years down the road,’ but would like to do now.”

Josh DuBois, Alpha Gamma Rho president and junior in Business, said there are currently 12 sororities participating this year, including Sigma Kappa, 4H, Sigma Alpha, Alpha Xi Delta, Kappa Delta, Alpha Gamma Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Chi Omega, Phi Sigma Sigma, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Omicron Pi and Pi Beta Phi.

From these sororities, one member is chosen by their chapter for the contest.

The Foxy Lady Contest consists of three rounds: school spirit, sorority spirit and formal. 

Jack Hedges, Alpha Gamma Rho philanthropy chair and junior in ACES, said that the women also receive attendance points for bringing others to the contest. Besides that, participants are judged on their initial interviews, their outfits and their responses to questions.

Alex Johns, Alpha Gamma Rho recruitment chair and sophomore in ACES, heard about the diagnosis from Katie Hubbard’s husband, Norman Hubbard, a pastor from the Illini Navigators. Four Alpha Gamma Rho members attend Norman Hubbard’s bible study, where they learned about Katie Hubbard, who also volunteers with Illini Navigators. 

“Alpha Gamma Rho is thrilled that we can take on the goal of supporting the local Champaign-Urbana community members that are in need,” wrote DuBois in an email. “While we successfully manage being both a professional and social fraternity, having an entire chapter get engaged in the community like this adds another dimension to the example we strive to set.”

Tickets for the 18-and-over event are $5 at the door. 

Taylor can be reached at [email protected].