Open signs on Christmas Day

By Abrar Al-Heeti

Each winter on Dec. 25, parts of Champaign-Urbana turn into what resembles a ghost town, as many people spend the day celebrating the holidays with family and friends in their homes or travel out of town.

But for those who are here, away from family, and don’t celebrate Christmas or want somewhere local to take family and friends, there are a few businesses that will remain open for regular hours or limited hours on Christmas Day.

Starbucks

2702 N. Prospect Ave., Champaign

Coffee lovers rejoice; Starbucks on Prospect Avenue in Champaign will be open from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Christmas Day. So you don’t have to go a day without that beloved Frappuccino.

Carmike 13 and Savoy 16

Carmike: 910 Meijer Drive, Champaign; Savoy 16: 232 Burwash Ave., Savoy

If you’d like to spend your day off unwinding with the latest blockbuster, both movie theaters will be open regular hours.

Family Video

1101 N. Mattis Ave., Champaign; 805 N. Lincoln Ave., Urbana; 1901 S. Philo Road, Urbana

Want to have a movie night at home? Stop by any of Family Video’s locations to pick up a rental. They will be open regular hours.

Walgreens

1713 W. Springfield Ave., Champaign; 1509 S. Neil St., Champaign; 302 E. University Ave., Urbana

Walgreens stores that are open 24 hours will remain open all day on Christmas. So you can print those last-minute photos, buy the gift wrap you need and pick up ingredients you realized you ran out of.

Arrowhead Lanes

1401 N. Mckinley Ave., Champaign

Arrowhead Lanes offers bowling and an indoor glow-in-the-dark miniature golf course. If you’re looking for an activity, it’ll be open regular hours on Christmas.

Niro’s Gyros

2001 W. Springfield Ave., Champaign; 1007 W. University Ave., Urbana

Niro’s Gyros serves traditional American favorites including hamburgers, fries and hotdogs, but it’s perhaps most noted for its gyros. You can stop by either location on Christmas Day to get your fix of gyros goodness. It will be open regular hours.

Denny’s

702 W. Town Center Blvd., Champaign

Denny’s is open 24 hours, and will remain open on Christmas Day. You can take the family there if you’d like to skip cooking a meal or if the ham overcooks.

Merry Ann’s Diner

1510 S. Neil St., Champaign; One Main, 1 E. Main St., Champaign; 1103 W. Oregon St., Urbana

Merry Ann’s Diner has been serving the local community for years, and the 24-hour diner is ideal for any late-night hunger attacks — including any you might have on Christmas. All three locations will be open on Dec. 25.

And in case you’re wondering …

Walmart

Walmart will be closed on Christmas Day, but if you find you’re in desperate need of any last-minute necessities for the holidays, it will be open until 8 p.m. on Christmas Eve.

Abrar is a junior in Media. She can be reached at [email protected].