January bar checks bring 48 citations

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The Illinois State Police in conjunction with the Champaign Police Department issued 48 citations during an Alcohol Countermeasure Enforcement (ACE) covert Friday, Jan. 23 at campustown bars.

A total of 37 citations were issued for possession or purchase of alcohol by minors, 18-20 years old. Two citations for unlawful use of identification, two citations for name tags required by liquor establishment employees, one citation for sale of alcohol to a minor, one citation for criminal damage to property, one citation for possession of open alcohol on public property, one citation for unlawful use of cell phone while driving.

There were 18 citations issued at KAM’S, 10 at The Red Lion, seven at Joe’s Brewery, three at It’s Brothers, seven at Piccadilly Liquor Store, two at Firehaus and one from a street sweep.

Those who are found in possession of illegal IDs are at risk of having their driver’s license suspended or revoked by the Illinois Secretary of State. According to the press release, suspensions can last up to one year or longer.

Funding for the ACE program is provided by the Illinois Department of Transportation, Division of Transportation Safety.