Illini women’s basketball opens Big Ten tournament against Nebraska

The No. 10 seed in a 14-team tournament usually doesn’t get a team or its fans excited. However, for the Illinois women’s basketball team, the 10th seed could end up being a huge break.

The Illini avoided the first round of play and will take on No. 7 seed Nebraska on Thursday in the second round of the Big Ten tournament. Although the Cornhuskers won the conference tournament last season, they can be seen as a favorable matchup for the Illini.

They lost their two meetings with Nebraska this season by a combined seven points, playing both games without senior guard Ivory Crawford.

“We’re a whole lot different with Ivory Crawford on the floor,” coach Matt Bollant said. “She makes big plays. She just does a lot of little things for us, and we don’t have great depth, so taking out your star player makes a big difference.”

Now, the tables will be turned in Illinois’ favor. Rachel Theriot, who leads the Cornhuskers with 16.5 points per game this season, will not be playing due to injury. Theriot underwent season-ending ankle surgery on Feb. 19, meaning she played both games against Illinois — she averaged 19 points and played all 40 minutes in both.

“In the two games we played (Nebraska) over the 80 minutes, we probably led for 75, so I think that gives us some confidence,” Bollant said. “Theriot is out as well, so those things make a difference.”

Even with Theriot out, Nebraska has a balanced attack led by four seniors. The Huskers have five players averaging more than 7.0 points per game, not counting Theriot. They also possess height in the post, which will make it tough for freshman center Chatrice White and sophomore forward Jacqui Grant on both ends of the floor.

For White, playing Nebraska for a third time will provide extra momentum. White, an Honorable Mention All-Big Ten player and member of the Big Ten All-Freshman team, is a native of Shelby, Nebraska.

“We’re so ready to play them, that’s my home state and we’re ready to get after it,” White said.

The Illini closed out the regular season by winning two of their last three games. Illinois is also led by a senior who doesn’t want her career to end and a freshman motivated to play her home state school.

Illinois will also get to play the tournament within state lines. The tournament is being held at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, about 150 miles north of campus. This will give the six Chicagoland Illini the chance to play at least one game close to home.

“I was up recruiting last night (in the Chicago area) and ran into high school coaches, and AAU coaches that said they’re going to be at the game Thursday night, so it’s great to have that impact and be in our state,” Bollant said.

@Blerner10