Dating app Fortu to launch on campus

By Drake Pena

Coming to campus this spring, Fortu is an app designed to change the way people look at online dating, according to Jason White, founder of the app. The app uses three major pillars: initial physical attraction, an event that both parties find interesting and an available time that works for both users.

“We felt there was a big gap in the proper way to go about online dating,” White said. “This came from friends who were having trouble meeting people on the online world and needed a better platform for meeting others. We intend on getting the nuts and bolts of online dating right to help people meet each other.”

Fortu uses elements from other apps such as a small profile and location settings to meet people nearby. White explained that the user creates an idea for a date, which can vary from a run in the park to getting drinks at a bar. Once the event is set up with a time and location, other users are able to decide if they want to meet. Then, the creator of the date chooses the person they would like to take.

“You can make Fortu whatever you want it to be,” White said. “We’ve done beta tests and watch what people are doing. Whatever you want to do you can do it. We give you a platform that allows things to happen.”

Aryaman Kochhar, freshman in DGS, said the formula of other dating and hookup apps is outdated, and Fortu can provide a change.

“I feel like when a lot of people come to campus, they come with that mentality that they are just going to hook up with a bunch of girls or guys,” Kochhar said. “But I feel beyond a point people get tired of it because it’s the same old routine.”

After a beta test in January that garnered 1,000 users in Chicago, White said Fortu is ready to tackle the challenges of a college campus.

“I think there are a lot of activities within school that require dates: parties, formals, et cetera. (When) speaking to girls on campus, there’s a lot of pressure. You post a date, and maybe it’s the girl in your class, or the girl you pass everyday on your way to work,” White said. “You’re giving yourself an easier way to connect, and for this reason, I think there is huge potential on campuses.”

Autumn Langdon, freshman in LAS, agreed that Fortu could be a hit at the University.

“I think it will narrow it down to people who want a meaningful relationship rather than I’m going to meet up with someone and whatever happens, happens,” Langdon said.

With apps like Tinder and Skout already on the market, White wants University students to know a few things about Fortu.

“Fortu is 100 percent free and will always be 100 percent free,” White said. “Monetization will not be based on user pay. In the future, we might offer discounts for students on certain dates, but students will never pay period.”