Illinois men’s track heads to the Eastern Illinois for Big Blue Classic

The Illinois men’s track and field team heads to Charleston, Illinois, this weekend for the Eastern Illinois Big Blue Classic. Head coach Mark Turk’s team will participate Friday and Saturday in its second outdoor competition this season.

The Illini throwers made the greatest impression of any group on the team at the team’s outdoor season opener at the UNLV Spring Invitational. Davis Fraker tossed 63.15m (207’ 2”) in the hammer throw, earning him the event title. Brandon Noe won the discus after recording a throw of 52.94 meters (173’ 8”). Ben Dodds moved up to third on Illinois’ all-time list after registering a heave of 65.03 meters (213’ 4”) in the javelin.

This weekend’s field will include competitors from 13 schools including Illinois State, Indiana State, Chicago State, Detroit, Bradley, Western Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin Milwaukee, Lincoln University; Division II schools Marian University and Rockford College; and junior college Lincoln College.

Illinois’ last appearance at the Big Blue Classic was in 2012 when the Illini recorded three first-place finishes and six runner-up performances throughout the two-day contest, Zahn and senior Brandon Stryganek finished second in the 200 and 400m, respectively.

@mrozlauren