Ramis’ work far more than just ‘Ghostbusters’

• Ramis directed “Groundhog Day.”

• Before his death in 2014, Ramis directed 12 movies.

• Like many of the people he worked with, Ramis got his start at Second City.

• “Year One” was Ramis’ final movie.

• Harold Ramis rose to fame through movies like “Ghostbusters” and “Groundhog Day”, but Ramis’ contributions to film are far more than these early works.

• Ramis helped write the screenplay for “Animal House.”

• Ramis directed comedy great Chevy Chase in “Caddyshack” and “National Lampoon’s Vacation.”

Harold Ramis is quickly recognized as the quirky Dr. Egon Spengler in “Ghostbusters.” He is also spotted as the neurologist in “Groundhog Day.” But his appearances in these works are not the reason the Chicago native is being honored with the first-ever film tribute at Ebertfest.

In addition to his on-screen duties, Ramis also helped write the screenplay for both of these films, and he directed “Groundhog Day.” Ramis also directed “Caddyshack” and “National Lampoon’s Vacation.” Ramis also helped pen the screenplays for “Caddyshack,” “Meatballs” and “Animal House.”

Ramis’ contribution to comedy films is beyond compare, and it is fitting that he is remembered for these films, along with comedy greats Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and John Belushi.

Ramis got his start in comedy writing and reviewing jokes for Playboy magazine before joining the Second City comedy troupe in Chicago.

Most recently, Ramis directed four episodes of “The Office” and the movie “Year One,” which starred Jack Black and Michael Cera.