Illinois women’s tennis focuses on doubles, seniors as season wraps up

Illinois’ Madie Baillon attempts to return the ball during the match against Rutgers at Atkins Tennis Center on April 5. The Illini look to continue their five-game win streak. 

The Illinois women’s tennis team has struggled in doubles as of late. Fortunately for the Illini, the lack of production in the doubles point has not stopped the team from racking up wins.

Nevertheless, Illinois — currently on a five-game win streak — is making some adjustments to its lineup as it returns home for the final two matches of the regular season.

The Illini (12-9, 4-5) face Nebraska (12-10, 0-9) on Saturday before facing Iowa (8-11, 2-7) on Sunday. Both of which are noon matches.

Illinois head coach Michelle Dasso attributed recent success to a switch from team practices to individual workouts. She did so in hopes of zeroing in on issues concerning player mechanics.

But Dasso is mixing it up once again, going back to team practices earlier this week with a particular purpose in mind.

Dasso wanted to see how different pairings played together, hoping to find a match that clicked.

“Obviously we struggled big time at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles this past weekend,” Dasso said. “We were fantastic at singles, and No. 1 doubles did a good job but we clearly weren’t good enough at No. 2 and No. 3 (doubles).”

The players all have experience playing with each other, dating back to the fall.

A constant rotation of partners is intentionally practiced early in the year in the event that lineup changes — like the ones Dasso is considering now — need to be made at any point in the season.

“That’s a huge reason why we switch them up like we do early on,” Dasso said. “You have that chemistry if you have to throw things together, and we’re seriously thinking about doing that.”

Sophomore Madie Baillon admitted that the chemistry gained from playing with different teammates in the fall has made the thought of lineup changes easier to grasp.

Baillon lost both doubles matches she played last weekend when paired with sophomore Jerricka Boone. Baillon said she didn’t get down on herself after the losses, but added that she knew changes could be coming.

“I played with Grace (Tapak) today, and we did really well together,” Baillon said Tuesday. “We played in the fall a little bit, so it was something that we were both comfortable with.”

While doubles is the big focus for Illinois leading up to the weekend, the players will have a more important focus during the upcoming matches: sending off the seniors.

For Julia Jamieson and former All-American Melissa Kopinski, these two matches will be their last at the Atkins Tennis Center in their collegiate careers.

Sophomore Alexis Casati played doubles frequently last year with Kopinski and pointed out that sending off her close friend will be extremely sad.

Casati also spoke very highly of Jamieson, who remains a vocal centerpiece, even when she is not in the lineup.

“Mel is a great player — an All-American — and Julia is a great leader,” Casati said. “It is going to be hard for everyone to see them go.”

Dasso had nothing but good things to say about her seniors.

She said that their passion for tennis is unmatched by anyone around the team.

“Their passion for the game and just their preparation is remarkable,” Dasso said. “We were able to rebound from the path that we were on and fight back, and that all stems from the seniors.”

@Jonny_Joffe